Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Promise Me This by Cathy Gohlke- Incredible and Mesmerizing









Michael Dunnigan was summoned to help carry supplies onboard the Titanic. As he took in the lavish accomodations around the ship it was a sight to behold in his young eyes.


Owen Allen enroute to America, via the Titanic, leaving the stiffling rule of his Aunt Eleanor Hargrave, promises to send for his sister Annie once he arrives and settles into his new home.


When Michael meets Owen the two seem to share a common bond each helping the other tie up loose ends before Owen boards. On one fortunate night Michael "found" his ticket onboard the luxury liner. Owen plans to teach Michael all he knows about horticulture, but before his plans materialize Titanic sinks taking with her hopes and dreams for the future. Michael arrives at the Allen Gardens in America clearly and painfully aware of the sacrifice taken for him. He longs for acceptance as Annie longs to come to the States to fulfill Owens wishes.


With World War I now upon the world and the young eager to assist in the war effort, there are decisions that must be made but with imminent consequences left to be endured. How will Annie and Michael withstand further heartbreak, and with the uncertainty in the midst of the reality of war, is it possible that true love can be found?


A romantic and realistic novel rich in historical content and scenery captured me and refused to let me go. As I read I quickly became "lost" in the storyline, I found it quite impossible to put down. Possibly a forth of the book was about the ill fated maiden voyage of the Titanic and it's occupants, the remaining parts told the story of what happened to Michael and the Allen family following the Titanic sinking and into World War I. Very easily 5 stars as character development and dialogue were expertly written and I felt as if I knew them and were there watching the story unfold before me. With a twist ending this inspiring and well written novel challenged my faith and kept me entertained. I will recommend the book to others. Thanks to Tyndale House Publishers for this complimentary copy for me for my review.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Kate, for your excellent review of "Promise Me This!" I'm glad you were swept into the story. The characters became very real for me as I wrote them, and it was hard to let them go at the end of the book. God's blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Cathy! The characters seem like old friends!Hope that a sequel will be in the future!

    ReplyDelete