Thursday, September 27, 2012

How I Grow A Persimmon Tree From Seed

Ahh Autumn!! Its almost time to begin thinking about gathering the persimmons that fall from the trees! What to make with the pulp and perhaps starting your own grove of trees. Starting persimmon trees from seed is a time consuming process, several years as a matter of fact, but the result will be so worth the wait as they begin to germinate. Most of the seeds I gather are the American Persimmon, some fruits are small while others are larger depending on the variety. After I process the persimmons into pulp I reserve some of the nicer seeds clean them and put them in paper envelopes. I then mark them with dates and put them in the freezer section of my refrigerator, this is what takes so long because I leave them in the freezer for 1.5 yrs as they need the hibernation time. So if I gather them this fall 2012 in the early spring of 2014 I take them out. As the seeds have an extremely hard coat I nick them with a knife (make a notch) to the inside of the seed (generally on the side of the seed not top or bottom) so water can penetrate the seed coat. I then put them in a cup of water and soak overnight. The next day I put them in potting soil in a plastic container I have poked holes in the bottom cover seeds with soil (don't plant them too deep) or crowd them, then water well, place lid on container that I have also poked holes in, set in a partially shaded area and wait. The seeds also need the heat for germination, and the container will act as a mini greenhouse, after being in cold for all that time. In a week to 2 weeks seeds will start to germinate. Remove the lid after germination either place in separate containers to grown on further sunk into ground or plant directly into the ground in good garden soil. Do not over water for the first year. Don't be discouraged if all do not germinate or after planting into the ground they all fail to grow. That is a chance that you take as all may not reach maturity. Also it takes 9 or more years to see fruit. Other trees may be grown from my method I have not tried that. Plus the money you will save in the long run is worth trying to grow from seed. It is rewarding and fulfilling seeing what you and God have grown together! Good luck and happy growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment